How Your Time Impacts Our Mission
DESK is powered by a corps of dedicated volunteers who prepare food, set up the dining room, serve meals, clean up, operate our weekly pantry, stock our shelves, transport donations, and assist with a variety of administrative tasks and fundraising efforts. With a limited staff, we cannot do it without our amazing volunteers … and that’s how we like it! When more people meet and interact with those in need, we are building community. When volunteers shake the hands of our guests and give them a smile and sympathetic ear at dinner, we are forming connections. The path to recovery, health, and equity is paved with understanding.
Those interested in signing up for a single volunteer opportunity can schedule a time to help out through SignUp.com or by contacting us at [email protected]deskct.org or by calling (203) 624-6426.
Scheduling through SignUp.com is easy. Simply click on the button above or go to http://signup.com/go/1Htgxj. Then review the open dates and times listed and choose the option that’s right for you. There is no need to sign up for an account. You will receive a confirmation email and reminder 48 hours ahead of your scheduled day.
If you are interested in signing up for regularly recurring dates (usually weekly or monthly), please contact us via email at [email protected].
Prior to your scheduled volunteer opportunity, please fill out the online Volunteer Release and Waiver of Liability form. When you arrive at 311 Temple St. in New Haven, parking is primarily on-street. The entrance to our kitchen is through the stairwell to the basement on the north side of the building (to the left when your facing the building). Ring the bell, and you’ll be greeted by our Program Manager, Meagan Howard.
Community Service & Court-Appointed Hours
If you need documentation as part of a credit-based community service program or court-appointed hours, please be sure to notify us about this via email at [email protected]. We will make every effort to provide electronic verification letters within three business days, or hard-copies within seven business days. Requests for documentation must be made within six months of the last volunteer shift.
A Few Guidelines and Rules
DESK is committed to the health and safety of both our guests and our volunteers. To that end, we ask that all volunteers follow the guidelines laid out below.
- All volunteers must be at least 12 years-of-age, and those who are under 16 years-of-age must be accompanied by an adult.
- All volunteers must wear closed-toe shoes.
- Those who are working with food, either in preparation or serving, must wear a head-covering of some type. (Close-fitting hats that contain hair are acceptable.) We can provide head-coverings, if needed.
- Volunteers working in the kitchen or stock room cannot be current Food Pantry clients. Former clients must wait 30 days from last date-of-service to volunteer in either the kitchen or stock room.
- We cannot accommodate court-appointed volunteers whose service is related to any kind of theft infraction.
For more information. Contact [email protected] or call (203) 624-6426.
Volunteer Bill of Rights
DESK maintains the following rights for all our volunteers:
- The right to work in a safe environment.
- The right to be treated with respect by all staff members.
- The right to be engaged in meaningful work and be actively included regardless of any physical limitation.
- The right to be told what impact your work has on the community.
- The right to ask any staff member about the organization’s work.
- The right to provide feedback about your experience.
- The right to receive financial information or an annual report.
If at any time a volunteer feels that the above rights have been infringed upon in any way, s/he should notify the Executive Director, Steve Werlin, at [email protected], or the Board President, Dan Scholfield, at [email protected].
Thanksgiving is just around the corner! We’ll need more than 100 volunteers over five days. To sign up, click on the button below, or visit our SignUp.com Thanksgiving page, or simply email us at [email protected].
Got wheels? Do you want to be part of the elite Thanksgiving Delivery Team? Email Kate Walton at [email protected].