Board Member Application
Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen (DESK) is currently accepting nominations for membership on our Board of Directors. Ideal candidates will be passionate and committed to DESK’s mission. This is a volunteer position with an expected commitment to a three-year term.
DESK’s Board of Directors is comprised of a small group of professionals who are highly engaged in the community in a variety of ways, with each bringing at least one area of specialization or knowledge to Board service. In addition to our monthly on the second Monday, select Board members meet as part of standing committees (Finance, Development, Program, Nominating, and Facilities) or task-forces.
- Board Meeting Attendance – Board members must generally be available to meet for the full Board meeting on the second Monday of each month.
- Committee Participation – Board members must be willing to serve on at least one standing committee.
- Fiduciary Responsibility – Board members are responsible for providing financial oversight to the organization, including adherence to relevant laws, appropriate expenditures, and ethical fundraising practices.
- Programmatic Oversight – Board members are responsible for determining ethical, appropriate, and impactful program and services offering.
- Employment Oversight – Board members are responsible for ensuring ethical employment practices in accordance with all laws.
- Strategic Planning – Board members set the mission, vision, and values of the organization and determine the long-term plans for achieving predetermined goals and ensuring organizational sustainability.
- Social service and healthcare professionals
- Food services background
- Representation from underserved communities and neighborhoods in New Haven
- Financial and accounting professionals
- General diversity of voice
DESK values greatly the role of diversity in organization and strongly encourages applications from people of all backgrounds and lifestyles.