Position: Part-Time Executive Director
DESK was founded in 1987 to provide evening meals three nights a week at various churches in New Haven, CT. Almost 25 years later, the DESK has a permanent location and, in partnership with Yale student organization Hunger Heros, serves hot meals seven nights a week. DESK also provides daily bag lunches, weekly food pantry bags, and facilitates an emergency food bank for people in crisis. DESK also has a Pet Food Pantry and a biweekly Food Supplement program for seniors. All of DESK’s services are free.
The organization has strong operational leadership under the current Operations Director and Interim Executive Director and seeks a part-time executive director to carry out the mission of the organization and to realize the vision of the board of directors.
With sufficient fundraising and successful grant awards, the candidate will have the ability to grow the current part-time position into a full-time role in a short time.
- Fundraising – Director will oversee all current, planned and future fundraising efforts. This includes events, grant applications, fundraising sales and partnerships with outside organizations.
- Organizational Management – Director will manage the organization of documents, grants, financial records and reporting requirements in order to maintain non-profit status, relationships with foundations and relationships with corporate partners.
- Strategic Planning – Director will organize and maintain an annual calendar of events to include key grant dates, fundraisers, annual programs and reporting requirements.
- Budget Management – Director will work to reduce line-item expenses and increase income in order to maintain a positive cash flow and grow the reach of the organization.
- Community Outreach – Director will serve as the face of the organization, cultivating relationships with community leaders and communicating with the community via the press and social media.
- Donor Relations – Director will establish relationships with donors and will use donor data to cultivate stronger relationships with key donors and grow donations amongst smaller donors. Director will also work to expose donors to DESK operations in order to show them the impact that their contributions have.
- Accountability – Director will communicate regularly with and report to the Board of Directors on the progress of monthly, quarterly, annual and long-term initiatives.
- 5+ Years of Nonprofit Leadership and/or Development
- Strong Leadership & Communication Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent
- Proficient with Accounting Software (QuickBooks Preferred)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Software
- Volunteer or Working Experience in Direct Services Preferred
- Previous Service on a Board of Directors Preferred
- Experience with Social Media Preferred